Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland until I return to the Murcia region of Spain
in the Autumn for a month or so

'Fair and softly goes far' - Miguel de Cervantes

Saturday, 6 October 2007

Good news for travellers from Scotland

On shorter trips out to the Costa Calida I fly, like most people (usually from Prestwick, although this time it's via Liverpool as there's a flight from Inverness to Liverpool until the end of this month), but for longer visits and for the next couple of years I'll be crossing by ferry. However the direct crossings to Spain from Portsmouth or Plymouth are a long way from Scotland, but there is a crossing from Rosyth (just north of Edinburgh) to Zeebrugge in Belgium, which is ideal for me.

The 'good news' of the title is that the 2008 schedule has just gone up on the Superfast website a couple of days ago, so I can finally make plans for my longer trip out in the new year.

The crossing to Zeebrugge in Belgium is ideal for me as it is only a 2 and a bit hour drive to the south of the Netherlands (near Maastricht) where I have relatives I can stay with for a few days. It's then simply a matter of a five day/four night drive south through Belgium, Luxembourg, France and then Spain - an enjoyable holiday in itself. I'll repeat the process in reverse in early May on my way back home to Scotland. If you are interested you can read about my trip last winter down to Spain in January and back home in April by clicking on the links below, via the magic of wi-fi in the various places I stayed on the way out and back:

The outward journey - January 2007
Nairn to Beaune via the Netherlands
Beaune to Valencia - and the sun is shining!
Valencia to Mazarron - and the journey is over

The homeward journey - April 2007
Mazarron to Valencia - an easy journey
Two difficult days of driving from Valencia to Saint-Rambert d'Albon
Bill is back in Nairn for the summer!

I won't in fact make my ferry bookings right now, but instead will wait until I return here in early-November after my short visit out to Spain later this month, but it is good to know that the ferry is running again next year.

0 comments - please add your own: