Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland until I return to the Murcia region of Spain
in the Autumn for a month or so

'Fair and softly goes far' - Miguel de Cervantes

Thursday, 14 August 2008

If it's yellow ...

Well, this is an allusion to the chronic water shortages which have affected Mazarron Country Club in the past few weeks. Although initially the cuts in water supply affected another nearby 'urbanisation' (Camposol) too, as a result of work which was apparently being carried out on a main water supply duct supplying the area, the problems seem to continue at Mazarron Country Club (this has been covered extensively, exhaustively and exhaustingly in an MCC 'bulletin board' here). I mentioned in passing in the article immediately preceding this one that the water had been 'off' when I arrived during Monday night, but I had been fully aware of the problem as a result of reading the 'bulletin board' and from information given to me by some Dutch relatives (by marriage) who had been using my house a couple of weeks ago.

Since I arrived, the water came back on Tuesday and remained on until about 10pm yesterday evening, we were without water until about 10am this morning, which made flushing the loo this morning challenging - I had to use a 5-litre bottle of bottled water to avoid leaving the bathroom smelly. Sorry to be graphic about this, but this was the simple reality I had to confront today, just as many others will have had to confront the same problem over the 36 hours without water over last weekend. When the water came back on at about 10am this morning my first job was to fill several 5-litre bottles with tap water so I would at least be able to deal with emergency and unavoidable loo-flushes if/when the water stops flowing again. Just at the time of writing - and I don't want to tempt fate here! - the water is flowing normally.

In case you are not familiar with it, this little rhyme is one I heard in the US some years ago and seems to describe nicely, if a little too graphically perhaps for some tastes, the practical ways that one can, without too much personal nasal discomfort, cope with not having flowing water to flush the toilet whenever one otherwise would:




If it's yellow ... Let it mellow.
If it's brown ... Flush it down.

Now I'm off out to the terrace to sip a glass of chilled fino, as the sun goes down. ¡Hasta Luego!

0 comments - please add your own: