Blogging from the Murcia region of Spain until early June, when I return to
the Highlands of Scotland for a few months

'Fair and softly goes far' - Miguel de Cervantes

Friday, 23 January 2009

Expect the 'sweet smell' of pig slurry in Mazarrón area

The Ministry of Agriculture and Water and the Federation of Agricultural Cooperatives (FECOAM), with technical support from the Technical University of Cartagena (PUST), is planning to increase the use of pig slurry (i.e. manure) in an effort to enrich soils and to cut down on the use of artificial fertilisers. In Murcia the two areas likely to feel the effects of this are the Guadalentín valley (the primary focus) and the mining area located in the vicinity of Mazarrón.

I must admit I have, since I acquired my property at Mazarron Country Club, never noticed any particular agricultural odours, except on relatively rare occasions, however the first time I visited Murcia in recent years (I first visited the area almost 25 years ago) with a view to purchasing a property in the region, I rented a property at Camposol as a base and there the smell from the nearby pig farm was very noticeable most mornings if the wind was in the 'wrong' direction. The new policy seems to imply that such smells will become more common in the future.

Ah well, there always has to be a 'flaw' in Paradise.

0 comments - please add your own: